10 Ways to Sneak Coconut Oil Into Your Routine
Does anything scream summer quite like the exotic taste and divine scent of coconut? While you might already have a love affair with coconuts, don’t miss out on its amazing derivative – coconut oil! Here’s a quick, easy guide to integrating coconut oil into your daily routine from morning to evening. All you need is one jar of organic virgin coconut oil, and you’re on your way to leaving your body and mind feeling healthy, refreshed, and rejuvenated. (Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any forthcoming coconut oil addictions.)
1. Hop on the oil pulling trend. Plop a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth first thing in the morning, swish it around for 20 minutes, and spit it out to rid your mouth of all the unhealthy bacteria that built up during the night. Say hello to clean teeth and healthy gums!
2. Make those pearly whites even whiter - the natural way. Ditch the harsh chemicals in whitening strips (and save some money)! Use oil pulling to not only rid your mouth of unwanted bacteria, but also as a natural teeth whitener to achieve a long lasting, perfectly bright smile.
3. Supercharge your day with instant morning energy. Swallow a quick teaspoon of coconut oil in the AM for a yummy, healthy source of energy to power through a long day of kicking butt and taking over the world.
4. Give yourself an instant summer glow by using coconut oil as a quick highlighter. Dab your finger in a very small amount of the oil and sparingly place it on the high points of your face (cupid’s bow, cheekbones, and bridge of the nose) to achieve that Victoria’s-Secret-model glow from within!
5. Toss out your traditional lip balm and use a little coconut oil for baby smooth, kissable lips. Either pat a small amount from the jar directly on your lips or create a DIY lip balm to carry in your purse. Combine coconut oil, beeswax, and olive oil in a small container to use anytime you need a quick lip remedy. (You never know when you’ll need to pucker up!)
6. Replace traditional cooking oil or butter with coconut oil. Not only an excellent alternative due to its composition of healthy fats, coconut oil has also been shown to increase your metabolism, aid in digestion, and decrease inflammation. Plus, it gives your food a subtle coconut flavor that’s to die for. Able to tolerate much higher heats than other oils, coconut oil is ideal for cooking and baking all your favorite dishes. Win, win, win!
7. Get that silky smooth hair you’ve always dreamed of with an at-home coconut oil hair treatment. Let’s face it – our hair could use a little TLC after all the heat damage we put it through. Massage coconut oil into clean, damp hair, let it sit for about 30 minutes (or overnight), and wash it out as a deep rescue treatment for revived, luscious locks. As a daily remedy, rub a little on the ends of your hair for instant detangling.
8. Treat yourself to fresh, glowing skin with the perfect DIY coconut oil body scrub. Combine organic virgin coconut oil with granulated sugar and scrub it all over your body to exfoliate away your dead skin cells and leave your skin soft, silky, and smelling like a tropical island. (P.S. A small taste of the mixture doubles as a mouthwatering, sugary treat!)
9. Use coconut oil as a luxurious body moisturizer to eradicate any trace of dry skin. Take a very small amount and rub it onto your legs and arms to leave your skin hydrated and smelling like an exotic vacation. In addition to giving you baby-smooth skin, it will also help protect from sun damage and repair skin damage like scars and stretch marks.
10. Complete your day with an easy, natural way to remove eye makeup before bed. Gently rub a small amount of coconut oil over your closed eyelids (don’t tug!) and wipe off any eye makeup with a towel so you can catch some Z’s with a fresh, clean face.